Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pantry Staple - Pefect Shrimp Scampi

I have been trying a lot of recipes that call for ingredients that I typically have in my pantry or freezer. I am so tired of running to the store for a special herb or a certain kind of vinegar for a specific recipe. I need a handful of recipes that I know I can just make because I know I have the stuff to do it. My bow tie lasagna from a few weeks ago is a classic example.

So was last night's dinner. And it was awesome. One of the best past a dishes I have had in a long time. The girls and Mike totally agreed. Dinner was a silent affair. That's how I knew it was so good. We were all slurping up our food and only making the occasional yummy noise.

Before I give the recipe I need to tell you about a new product I have found that has changed my life. It is by Litehouse and they are freeze dried herbs. I get mine in the produce section. They for your pantry, not your freezer or fridge. But instead of drying the herbs, they have some new way of freeze drying them so when they encounter any form of liquid, they go back to their fresh state. Don't ask me about the science but the taste, color, texture and result is nothing short of a miracle. I used freeze dried parsley and garlic in this recipe and I really did think I was eating and seeing a fresh product.

Ingredients

1 cube of butter
1 TB olive oil
1/2 to 1 cup of white wine
1/2 TB freeze dried garlic
1 to 2 TB freeze dried parsley
3/4 pound linguine
1 bag frozen shrimp/raw with tail on
Maybe one teaspoon of lemon juice (i used the stuff that squeezes out of the plastic shaped lemon container I keep in my fridge) Be careful how much you use. This stuff is strong.
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese - shaved

In a pot of heavily salted water, get your linguine going. Boil until al dente

In a large skillet, heat 1/2 the butter and olive oil. Throw in the garlic but be careful not to burn it. Toss in the shrimp in one layer and season with salt and pepper. Cook until they start to turn opaque. Throw in the wine and lemon juice. Simmer until most of the liquid is reduced and shrimp is cooked. (BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERCOOK YOUR SHRIMP. NOTE: I ACTUALLY TOOK JUST MY SHRIMP OUT THE SKILLET AS SOON AS I THOUGHT IT WAS COOKED AND FINISHED THE REDUCING OF THE LIQUID AND THE REMAINING STEPS JUST TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T OVERCOOK THE SHRIMP) Take off the heat and melt in the rest of your butter. Stir in parsley. Toss hot linguine into your pan and continue to toss the shrimp, sauce and linguine together. Taste. Adjust seasoning. At this point I had to add a little bit more lemon and salt.

Arrange on four plates and top with shaved Parmesan. I use my vegetable peeler to shave the cheese. I tossed on a little more parsley for looks too.

Decadent, buttery, garlicy, salty, shrimpy, winey goodness.

No comments: