Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chicken & Broccoli Casserole


I grew up as an only child. So casseroles were NOT part of my life. Egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, hamburger, peas, tuna fish etc...were just not included in mom and dad's dinner rotations. We had to feed 3 people. That meant a dinner salad, a piece of meat, rice or potato and a steamed veggie of some sort. Occasionally my dad would break out an Asian stir fry or a great pasta dish. But 9x13 pans did not grace our table. So...when I went away to college to BYU, I began a secret love affair. With casseroles. My roommates were part of big Mormon families with 4 to 6 kids and were basically casserole experts. I picked their brains, sampled their dishes and occasionally called their moms for advice on how to perfect my casseroles. I was in leftover heaven surrounded by tuna surprise and chili mac. Then, I married Mike. He was from a big Mormon family too. In fact, he was the oldest of six. And upon getting married and sitting down to dinner in which I proudly served my famous tamale pie, he politely said, "Honey, this is just great... really really really great. It's just um... I grew up on casseroles my whole life and I got so tired of casseroles. You can make ANYTHING for dinner, really ANYTHING. I'll cook too. I just don't want to eat casseroles." Thus, ended my casserole affair. Except for the occasional pan of brownies or lasagna, my 9x13 pans have sat unused and dusty.

So I dedicate this post to what might have been. For one brief shining moment, cubed chicken, cream of chicken soup, cheese and I ...man we were something.

4 Chicken Breasts - cooked and diced into small pieces
1 pkg frozen broccoli florets - cooked according to package directions and drained
2 cans cream of chicken soup
8 oz container of sour cream
6 cups cooked white rice
3 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In a big bowl, mix everything except 1 cup of cheese. Spread into a 9x13 pan. Top with cheese. Cover and bake at 325 until bubbly and hot. Uncover and bake 10 mins more. Let sit for 15 mins before serving.

No comments: