Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ode To My Dad & His Lamb Chops


Yesterday for Easter dinner we had something that I didn't like. My dad was making both lamb chops and a pork loin roast on the grill. I knew in advance that I was having none of the lamb because I hate lamb. It's just "lamby" tasting and I just hate it. My dad presented the New Zealand petite chops on a beautiful platter garnished with fresh rosemary. The problem was - they looked really good. "Mike, do you like lamb?", I asked. "I'm not really sure, I haven't really ever had lamb." he said. "well, I don't like it, but you take a chop and give me a tiny piece just so I can taste it because I haven't tasted lamb in a long long time.", was my reply. So he cut me a little piece and a topped it with some mint sauce (not mint jelly). I prepared to make a yucky face and confirm to myself what I already knew...I am not a lamb person. But then something funny happened. Both Mike and I fell in LOVE with these lamb chops. You don't understand...they were sooooo good. Not lamby at all. Just plain melt in your mouth great. So, I appeal to all of you who say you hate lamb or who haven't tried it. Go right this instant to Costco. Buy the New Zealand lamb chops in the fresh meat case. Fire up the grill and make the following recipe today. Serve it with the Greek rice (recipe follows this) and a salad and you will discover that we are ALL lamb people. All I can say is Baaaaaaaa!!!


Lamb Chops

Drizzle each chop with good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil on each side.

Rub fresh thyme leaves, fresh chopped rosemary leaves on each chop.

Throw into a ziploc bag that contains a little bit of Balsamic Vinegar, more olive oil and more of the thyme and rosemary.

Toss the chops in the bag and marinate overnight.


Fire up the gas BBQ grill.

Sprinkle some kosher salt and black pepper on each chop.

Grill over medium high heat until they are medium to medium rare. DON'T OVERCOOK

Let them rest about 10 mins after they come off the grill.

ENJOY



No comments: