Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Coconut Cake


My coconut cake is famous. It's not mine though. My friend Cherie gave me the recipe in 1996. Since then, I have made it for every Easter, every Mothers Day, sometime during the holidays, every 4th of July and usually for a birthday or two during the year. Oh and don't forget the surprisingly regular occasion of a luau. The funny thing is, every person I have given the recipe to now does the same. It makes me happy just to know that Cherie and a host of her friends like me and a host of my friends are all making and serving the same cake on Easter. Hope you luuuuvvvv it. I can honestly say if you don't - there is something wrong with you.


1 white cake mix baked according to pkg directions into 2 rounds

1 cup sour cream

1 cup shredded sweetened coconut

1/2 cup sugar

Cool whip - trust me

Fresh Whipped Cream 1 pt

1/2 cup sugar

2 to 3 more cups of shredded sweetened coconut


48 - 72 hours before you want to serve the cake. Cut cakes horizontally to make 4 layers. Mix sour cream, 1 cup coconut and sugar together. Fill in between layers of cake. It will glop out of the sides. Take cool whip and seal the edges and top of the cake with a THIN layer of cool whip. It's okay to even see crumbs through the coolwhip. you are using the coolwhip like mortar to seal the cracks so nothing leaks out. Day of or right before you serve it. Whip cream and sweeten with sugar. Frost cake generously on all sides and top. Cover entire cake with coconut (sides and top) Serve alone or decorate with fresh flowers, strawberries, sliced pineapple and cherries etc.

No comments: