Monday, February 25, 2008

Grey Salt



There is a salt that comes from the sea on the Brittany Coast of France. It is grey in color and has a very mineral, salty and peppery flavor. My cousin Ali introduced it to me this last summer. It used to be very pricey (like $20 for a tin in specialty food stores or online only) but now it can be found at my local Raley's for $9 for the same sized tin for which I used to pay double. It is excellent on meats, popcorn, veggies, sliced tomatoes, baked potatoes, fries...anything you put salt on. Jessica's favorite is to sprinkle it on sliced apples. My girls have developed such a taste that they always ask for "grey salt" specifically instead of salt. If I tell them they have to have the "normal" sea salt that we have in the salt mill, they have a cow. If I ever offered them plain ol' Morton's Iodized Table Salt I think they would die. Anyway, check out grey salt. Besides the drawback of develping food snob toddlers, you'll love it!

No comments: