Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Shepherd's Pie


My mom made Shepherd's Pie for me when I was growing up. My dad always really liked it. I wasn't too crazy about it but then after I got married I started playing around with different techniques to make it better. A few years back, we settled on this recipe as the best and easiest version. It makes a great weeknight one dish meal because your meat, starch, dairy and veggies are all in one pan. Enjoy!

Gather Up the Following Stuff:
1 lb very lean good quality ground beef
2 cans drained sliced mushrooms
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I know I don't usually use this ingredient, just trust me)
1/2 onion diced
1/2 bag frozen corn niblets or 1 can niblets
1/2 bag frozen peas
7 russet or 9 yukon gold potatoes
1/2 brick cream cheese
milk
butter, heated and browned in a skillet
salt and pepper to taste

Brown and cook beef, onions and mushrooms in a big skillet. Add soup, peas and corn. Stir to combine and spread into a 9x13 glass dish. Boil potatoes in salted water until done. Mash with cream cheese, milk and browned butter. Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt/powder etc to taste. Top beef mixture with mashed potatoes. Dot top of casserole with little bits of butter and bake uncovered in a 325 degree oven until heated through and bubbly. This rocks!

No comments: